Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Web 2.0 Award List

We have already worked with several of the winners, including Technorati, Library Thing, Google Docs and Spreadsheets, Twitter, Flickr, and Del.icio.us. Others, such as Facebook and Meebo I have worked with before starting the Library 2.0 program. I decided to look at Craigslist, because I had heard of it, but I wasn't very impressed. It is rather text heavy and not very pretty to look at. I tried Cocktail Builder, but everything required something I didn't have on hand. I don't want to stock that much variety. I thought they would take what you have and give you ideas, so I wasn't very impressed with that either. I went to upcoming, which I'm sure would be great if someone were keeping it up to date, but for all of Boone County, it said there was nothing going on this weekend. I can't believe that Ragtag and Blue Note have nothing planned this weekend and I was surprised to see that the Salute to Veterans Airshow was not mentioned. Maybe I just have different expectations than the normal seomoz users.

1 comment:

Robin said...

About Craigslist - it is ugly, there is no denying that, but the recent buzz in the news/blogosphere is that Craigslist will be the final push that will kill newspapers. The Internet itself didn't do it - newspapers just adapted, but since most newspapers are VERY reliant on classified ads, anything that jeopardizes that revenue model is seriously damaging to the newspaper's bottom line. Craigslist is just that dangerous to our print media.
As for upcoming.org - it isn't well known yet. I add all the library events (library-sponsored only) to it just so I can get a feed of events to add to our twitter account. I've noticed that it isn't being used by a lot of places around here, too!